Welcome to the Sunrise Spirit –
the Weekly Newsletter of The Rotary Club of Arcata Sunrise
We hope that you will attend one of our lively Friday meetings,
whether or not you are interested in joining Rotary.
We meet most Fridays at 7 am in the Plaza View Room at Arcata’s historic Jacoby Storehouse.
The Calendar …
RISE: “Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
Sunday, September 8 – Out Of The Darkness Walk for suicide awareness and prevention. Meet at 10 am on the Plaza.
Monday, September 16 – RCAS Make-up Monday at the Griffin! (The third Monday of each month) 4 to 6 pm.
Wednesday, September 11 – Cocktail Cruise on the Madaket with RCAS members.
Friday, September 23 – Zero Heroes Night – a fundraiser for Zero Waste Humboldt. From 6 to 9 pm in the Plaza View Room.
Friday, September 27 – Fundraiser for RCAS Guatemala House-Building Project! More details to follow.
Friday, October 4 – DG Kathy Flamson’s Official Visit and RCAS Picture Day! Don’t leave too soon after the meeting – we’ll be gathering on the Plaza for a photo op! (Sans Big Bill.)
Saturday, October 12 – Walk to End Alzheimers. Join the team to walk or make a pledge to support
Sunday, October 13 – Apple Pressing Event at Cam Appleton’s home in Fieldbrook
Monday, October 21 – RCAS Make-up Monday at the Griffin! (The third Monday of each month) 4 to 6 pm.
Friday, December 13 – RCAS Caroling on the Plaza for Arts Arcata
January 17-18, 2020 – “Peace Starts With You” – the Rotary International Peace Conference in Ontario, California.
Additional Important Stuff
The Arcata High School Interact Club meets every Friday at 12:20 pm during the school year.
The North Bay Rotaract Club meets in the Plaza View Room at Jacoby’s Storehouse at 6 pm on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month.
The Guatemala Project
We received a brief update on our project to build a home for a needy family in Guatemala. Our fundraiser, “A Taste of Guatemala”, will be held on Friday, September 27th at the Bayside Community Hall, beginning at 5:30 pm.
Also, please let your friends know that we have a GoFundMe page to raise funds for the project. Here is the link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/t2284u-a-cause-i-care-about-needs-help
100% Paul Harris Fellows!
Every single member of the Rotary Club of Arcata Sunrise is a Paul Harris Fellow!! These four Sunrisers received their pins and certificates at our Final Friday meeting: Vanessa Griffin, Shannon Maciel, Amanda Nelson, and Sophie Saucedo!
But, as Foundation Chair Terri Clark likes to remind us, you don’t have to stop at one! These generous Rotarians were honored for taking another “lap around the track”: Patti Britt Campbell, Romi Hitchcock Tinseth, and Julie Vaissade-Elcock. Thank you all very much!
Sunriser News (Recognitions)
We heard from Bryan Plumley, who earned a promotion at Edward Jones. Bryan will now “rule” over the Northern California region. His colleague (and fellow Sunriser) Brandon Kakitsuka took on the leadership of the Edward Jones office in McKinleyville.
President AJ recognized those with August birthdays – Terri Clark, Romi Hitchcock Tinseth, Jennifer Coryell, Steve McHaney, Howard Stauffer, Tomas Chavez, and Ashliegh Diehl.
Other recognitions included Tomas talking about Rotary Day at the Humboldt County Fair, proud mothers Lori Breyer and JOYC talking about their daughters’ weddings,, followed by Rachel Damme sailing down a multi-colored slide (in her wedding gown) with her new husband Casey Sarvinski.
AJ recognized himself for his award-winning barbecued chicken, and Karen Burgesser told us about her daughter and son-in-law participating in a charity run.
We also learned that Dan Johnson recently served as the guest speaker at the Eureka Rotary, and that Patti Britt Campbell’s son has launched a podcast. (Dan was one of the first people he interviewed!)
The Foundation Final Friday Auction!
We held our almost-monthly auction to raise funds for the Rotary Foundation. As always, generous Sunrisers donated great prizes, and other generous Sunrisers made big bids on them. Here is a list of items, donors, and high bidders:
- Gregg Foster donated a homemade apple pie, and offered to provide a refill upon return of the pan. Susan Diehl-McCarthy won that delicious dish!
- Pies were also on the mind of Karen Burgesser – she brought a pie-making kit, plus a gift certificate to A Slice of Humboldt Pie. The high bidder was JOYC (the Justice Of Your Club).
- Julie Vaissade-Elcock contributed a Nutribullet system that was won by Shannon Maciel.
- A vintage Rotary tote bag with seasoning and candy was offered by Terri Clark and promptly accepted by Rachel Damme.
- Experienced barkeep Dustin Littlefield donated all the fixin’s one would need to prepare delicious mojitos. He threw in some bottles of New York Seltzer, just because. That met with the approval of bidder Jeff Stebbins.
- The Fall Basket that Nick Torres brought in held a lot of stuff – candy, a throw, napkins, towels, a spoon rest, a pumpkin candle, and (most importantly for this crowd) some booze. There was some serious competition for this package, but I guess Bob Johnson really needed a spoon rest.
- Shannon Maciel contributed a basket from Carl Johnson’s, along with some ale and a gift certificate. Lori Breyer’s was the highest bid.
- The last auction item was a Weber Smokey Joe portable barbecue, donated by Brandon Kakitsuka. He included a supply of premium charcoal. Sophie Saucedo took that home with her top bid.
When the dust settled and the auctioneer’s gavel was gently laid down, the total raised for the Rotary Foundation came to $1,090! Thank you all!!
Don’t miss a minute!
(Click on the 2019-2020 Rotary Theme Logo to view the video of the full meeting.)