Our Next Meeting
Please feel free to join us at one of our Friday meetings. We meet at 7 am in the Plaza View Room of the historic Jacoby Storehouse; we’d love to see you there!
RISE Calendar …
“Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
Friday, February 2 – RCAS Charter Night! At Alchemy Distillery, with a No-Host Bar!!
Saturday, February 10 – Azalea Park Cleanup – 9:30 am – Noon – Off North Bank Road
Saturday, March 3 – AHS Career & College Center Fundraising Breakfast! 8 to 11 am in the AHS Fine Arts Building.
Saturday, March 3 – Judges needed for History Day at HSU – 7 am to Noon
Saturday, March 10 – Adopt-A-Highway! Meet at the Humboldt Coastal Nature Center at 9:30 am.
- President Dustin told us to “Rock The Vote”, and so we did. We elected AJ Gonzales as our President-Elect Nominee. (That means he will serve as our Club President for the 2019-2020 Rotary Year.) Congratulations, AJ!!
- Congratulations also went out to our Club’s newest CEO – John Richmond was selected to lead Lost Coast Communications. His media empire includes radio stations (The Point, KSLG, KXGO, and KHUM), along with the well-respected online local news source, the Lost Coast Outpost.
Sojourning Sunrisers & Special Daze
Our travelers for this meeting included Terri Clark (who also traveled through time), Rebecca Crow (four-wheeling in the desert, among many other activities), Michael Boreing (the “Master of Assembling Ikea”), and Rachel Damme (who also apparently did some time traveling).
There were no birthdaze, but Howard and Rebecca Stauffer celebrated their 33rd anniversary, and Rebecca Crow and her husband Abe were also anniversified!
Exchange Student Izzy Orasch told us about her visit to her host family’s cabin.
Financial Assistance Committee Report
Randy Mendosa reported on the contributions made by the Financial Assistance Committee on our Club’s behalf.
Roxann is Our Club’s Newest Paul Harris Fellow!
Foundation Chair Terri Clark announced our newest Paul Harris Fellow – our Plaza View Room Server, Roxann McArthur!
Foundation Moment: The Fight to End Polio
Terri Clark gave us the latest information on polio eradication efforts, with some sad news as well as an encouraging word.
The Final Friday Foundation Auction!
The last RCAS meeting of the month is usually designated Final Friday, and we pay tribute to the amazing work that the Rotary Foundation does throughout the world. (For details, click here.) We pay more than just tribute, however, we make contributions as well. We hold a Fantastic Final Friday Foundation Auction, where Sunrisers donate items to be sold to the highest bidder, and all of the proceeds are donated to the Foundation! It’s a lot of fun, and we have raised a lot of funds over the years since Former President Craig Newman came up with the idea. Here are some of the details of our latest auction:
- A “Dark & Stormy Night” package, which included book, booze, and more, was donated by Maggie Kraft, and Craig Newman was the purchaser.
- Andreas Krause brought a Japanese-themed package (with sake included, natch). Julie Vaissade-Elcock offered the high bid.
- Romi Hitchcock Tinseth’s fun assortment of kids’ items – including a stuffed bear, a chalkboard, and several games – went to Ceva Courtemanche.
- Ceva also purchased a Birdhouse Bouquet that included HealthSport gift certificates from donor Susan Jansson.
- Bob Johnson donated a Tinseltown package, that included pint glasses from the Hollywood Hard Rock Cafe; a t-shirt, coffee mug, and tote bag from the Jimmy Kimmel Show; and a bottle of tequila. The high bidder was Dick Johnson.
- A bottle of Robert Goodman Cabernet Sauvignon was donated by the winemaker himself – Bob Goodman. Lori Breyer purchased it.
- Terri Clark brought in a three-pack of Runamok Maple Syrup from Vermont, which was quickly snapped up by Julie Vaissade-Elcock.
- It was dark & stormy again for the penultimate offering – a Dark & Stormy Day Fiesta Margarita Basket, which was donated by Charlie Jordan, and purchased by Lori Breyer.
- Lori also bought the final item on the auction block – a party basket of “drinking accessories”, which was donated by Dan Johnson.
Thanks to the generosity of the donors and bidders, we raised $950 for the Rotary Foundation! But you don’t have to wait for a Final Friday – you can donate to the Foundation by clicking here: DONATE.
“I’ve got the whole meeting in my head!”
(Click on President Dustin’s photo to view the video of the full meeting.)