Our Next Meeting
Please feel free to drop in our meeting next Friday! We meet at 7 am at the Plaza View Room in the Jacoby Storehouse, on the Arcata Plaza.
RISE Calendar …
“Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
Now! – Time to pay up dem dues! (Remember that you have the option of paying in two installments.)
August 9 – Greet Inbound Exchange Student Isabella at the airport!
August 13-19 – Pedal for Polio bike ride to raise awareness and funds to support Rotary’s fight against polio. Participants will ride from Crescent City to Petaluma (or portions of the route). District Governor Bob Rogers is hoping for 100% (financial) participation.
August 27 – Kevin Ebbert Memorial Trail Run in Arcata Community Forest at 9 am (but be sure to get there early). Sign up at any HealthSport location. Proceeds will go toward the Humboldt Bay Trail Fund, which will help to build the trail along Highway 101, including the section that is dedicated to Kevin’s legacy!
September 10 – Out of the Darkness Suicide Awareness Walk – Check in at the Arcata Plaza at 9:00 am.
September 10 – Join the North Bay Rotaract Club for its annual Fun Run! Starting at 10 am in Blue Lake, and supporting several local nonprofits!
- President Dustin welcomed home a couple of “Sojourning Sunrisers”, including Tomas Chavez, Carol Vander Meer, Howard Stauffer, Sarah Wilkinson, Deb Engs, and Ed Christians. Dustin also recognized Jose Zapata, who told us about starting a career in finance with Wells Fargo!
New Sunrisers are asked to give a short presentation summarizing their entire life (so far). We call this a Craft Talk. As it happens, members who take a short break in their membership – as Michael Boreing did – are not exempt from the requirement. So Michael brought us up to date last Friday:
Foundation Final Friday: Awards and Paul Harris Fellows …
RCAS Foundation Chair Terri Clark presented quite a few awards for participation in the Rotary Foundation, including a Club award earned in the 2015-2016 Rotary Year. She also presented some new Paul Harris Fellows and some return engagements:
Foundation Final Friday: The Auction!
Nine times each Rotary Year, we hold a Final Friday Auction. The prizes are donated by Sunrisers (and sometimes others), and the purchase price is donated to the Rotary Foundation, with credit equally split between the buyer and the donor. Since they were first conceived by Former President Craig Newman, the auctions have raised tens of thousands of dollars for the Foundation. The proceeds from this auction were earmarked for the Foundation’s continuing fight to eradicate Polio, in honor of the members of our District 5130 who are participating in the Pedal 4 Polio ride in August. Here are the results of the auction:
- Ian Schatz donated a planter with succulents which he paired with a nice bottle of wine. The winning bid was made by Jeff Stebbins.
- Two “Soul Collections” – packages of several assorted spices – were brought in by Terri Clark for the auction. Charlie Jordan and Joyce Hinrichs will be livening up their food for quite a while, courtesy of their generous bids.
- Susan Diehl-McCarthy put together a lovely “Mediterranean Basket”, complete with a cookbook, a retro kitchen timer, an apron, and more! Dick Johnson purchased that as a birthday gift for his wife Shelley.
- Terri Clark also donated a Certificate for the Personal Choice Spa. Winning donor Tomas Chavez is probably pretty popular at home these days!
- The last prize of the day was a Box o’Booze ‘n’ Apples, with a generous helping of cider to boot. This package was donated by Cam Appleton, and the purchaser was Joyce Hinrichs.
Thanks to all the donors and buyers who helped raise a total of $570 that will be put to good use in the fight to end polio!
Want to check out the entire meeting?
Click on President Dustin!