Our Next Meeting
The Arcata High School Madrigal Choir visits our Club each year to provide lovely holiday music. Please join us on December 15th at 7 am in the Plaza View Room of the historic Jacoby Storehouse for this festive annual treat!
RISE Calendar …
“Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
December 15 – The Arcata High School Madrigal Choir performs at our last meeting of 2017!
- Terri Clark and her husband Marty Lay (also a Rotarian) were honored for naming the Rotary Foundation as a beneficiary of their estate (at some date very far in the future). That makes them part of Rotary’s Bequest Society. To learn more about how you can support the great work of the Rotary Foundation, click here.
- The Arcata Invitational Basketball Tournament was in full swing last Friday. Arcata High had defeated Rancho Cotate in the first round. Although the Tigers reached the championship game, they were defeated by Montgomery High School of Santa Rosa.
- The night before our meeting, we hosted another fun and successful Foster Families Dinner at Bethel Church in Eureka. Event Honcho Ed Christians once again led Sunrisers and other volunteers as we provided a home style feast. Thanks to everyone who participated, and special thanks to Ed and to Ceva Courtemanche, who started this holiday tradition!
- This meeting’s Sojourning Sunrisers included Susan Diehl-McCarthy (who performed in Carnegie Hall in New York City!), Jessica McKnight, Brandi Easter, and John Gullam.
Exchange Student Corner
We heard from both of our Rotary Exchange Students this week.
Our Outbound Student, Isabella White (a.k.a. Bella), told us about her first four months in Denmark. However, she wasn’t able to visit in person, so Malinda Damme dubbed her voice during the slide show.
Our Inbound Student, Isabella Orasch (a.k.a. Izzy), gave us an update on her week. (She provided her own voice (unless she was lip-syncing).
- Foundation Chair Terri Clark presented the requisite certification and bling to our newest Paul Harris Fellow, Tom Tellez. She went on to recognize Ceva Courtemanche, who has gone above and beyond, making her a multi-jewel PHF!
We celebrated the birthdays of Jessica McKnight (December 5th), Deb Engs (December 6th), and Susan Diehl McCarthy (November 28th). We also heard from Dick Johnson, who celebrated 22 years of marriage to his lovely wife Shelley on December 2nd.
Martin Abshire of the CHP
Talks Humboldt Traffic
Our Featured Speaker for December 8, 2017 was Martin Abshire, a Sergeant with the California Highway Patrol. He informed us about the latest and most important issues with CHP, and he fielded our questions (and comments).
“I’ve got the whole meeting in my head!”
(Click on President Dustin’s photo to view the video of the full meeting.)