Our Next Meeting
Please feel free to join us at next Friday’s meeting, as we honor veterans in our Club, in our community, and in our country.
We meet at 7 am at the Plaza View Room in the Jacoby Storehouse, on the Arcata Plaza.
RISE Calendar …
“Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
October 13 – Friday the 13th Costume Party – The North Bay Rotaract Club hosts a SPOOKY night at the Arcata Veterans Hall, starting at 8 pm. (18 years of age and older, please.)
October 14 – Walk to End Alzheimer’s – Meet at 10 am at Halvorsen Park in Eureka
October 14 – HSU Homecoming Tailgate Party – Meet at 2 pm in the HSU Parking Area
October 17 – RCAS Cross Country Championships – Arcata Community Center (if the weather cooperates) – setup from 2:30 to 4:00, race assistance 4:00 to 6:00.
November 16 – Taste of the Holidays – 5 to 8 pm at the Arcata Community Center.
- We heard from some Sunrisers on the go, including Julie Vaissade-Elcock, who traveled to Paris; Terri Clark, who (with co-star Marty Lay) took in some theater in San Francisco; and Bryan Plumley, who attended a conference in Boston and rediscovered the beauty of that city.
- President Dustin noted that we had a great turnout earlier in the week for the Pints for Nonprofits/Raffle at the Humboldt Cider Tap Room. The proceeds will go to the Walk to End Alzheimer’s via the RCAS Team, headed by Malinda Damme and Rachel Damme.
- President Dustin told us about a softball team that includes several Sunrisers and Rotaractors. If I gleaned the correct info from Facebook, they are known as the “Tax-Manian Devils.” (Perhaps we’ll hear more about the conclusion of their season this Friday.)
- The Annual RCAS Cross-Country Championships are nearly upon us! The event will take place on Tuesday, October 17th, at the Arcata Community Center. Rebecca Crow is once again chairing the event, so if you can help out that day, we need volunteers to help setup the venue from 2:30 pm, and race officials (aka kid herders) from about 3:30. Please let Rebecca know if you can lend a hand.
- It’s the start of another Backpacks for Kids year, and John Gullam did a really good job explaining the program and who it helps:
- Former Club President Howard Stauffer provided an update on our World Community Service efforts in Pakistan’s Swat Valley:
- Sophie Saucedo, President of the North Bay Rotaract Club, told us about two events that her group is hosting. First, their “Very Superstitious Friday the 13th Costume Ball” will be held at the Arcata Veterans Hall on (you guessed it) October 13th. The event is
limited to adults 18 and older. Second, their Jamrock School Supply Drive is underway. If you have school supplies to donate, please bring them to our meeting on October 13th.
- The week for our Exchange Student Izzy included boogie boarding and a bonfire on the beach! When we saw her on Friday, she was preparing for the Arcata High School Homecoming Game that evening!
Andreas’s Craft Talk – Watch for the Fine Print
Andreas Krause gave his Craft Talk at Friday’s meeting. Andreas is a geomorphologist, and he provided a title card at the beginning of his talk (a la TV Producer Chuck Lorre). If you pause the video at that point, you will learn some interesting facts about the Trinity River. (You will also learn that he weighed 10 lbs, 6 oz! But be sure to press “Play” again, to get his whole story!
Working To Save ALL Our Programs
Our Featured Speaker for the week was Dan Ehresman. Dan is the Executive Director of the North Coast Regional Land Trust, and he told us about his organization, and the role it plays in bringing landowners and conservation groups together.
Want to check out the entire meeting?
Click on President Dustin!