Welcome to the Sunrise Spirit –
the Weekly Newsletter of The Rotary Club of Arcata Sunrise
We hope that you will attend one of our lively Friday meetings,
whether or not you are interested in joining Rotary.
We meet most Fridays at 7 am in the Plaza View Room at Arcata’s historic Jacoby Storehouse.
The Calendar …
RISE: “Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
Friday, November 1 – Rotary Halloween Party at Wallace & Hinz in Blue Lake 7 – 11 pm
Saturday, November 9 – RCAS Adopt-A-Highway – meet at the Humboldt Coastal Nature Center at 10 am
Thursday, November 21 – A Taste of the Holidays! Our Fantastic Fall Fundraiser!! 5 to 8 pm at the Arcata Community Center
Friday, December 13 – RCAS Caroling on the Plaza for Arts Arcata
January 17-18, 2020 – “Peace Starts With You” – the Rotary International Peace Conference in Ontario, California.
Additional Important Stuff
The Arcata High School Interact Club meets every Friday at 12:20 pm during the school year.
The North Bay Rotaract Club meets in the Plaza View Room at Jacoby’s Storehouse at 6 pm on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month.
What Has Thomas Been Up To?
Thomas Spengler talked about joining his fellow Rotary Exchange Students from District 5130, and about his birthday celebration. Thomas also has a wish list, which includes a guitar amplifier. He also asked us to “put me in your suitcase”, if any of us has a trip coming up!
Recognitions & Announcements
President AJ had quite a few recognitions up his sleeve last Friday. First, he told us about President-Elect Maggie Kraft’s completion of the Rotary Institute for Leadership course. AJ also told us that Hizzoner the Mayor (AKA Sunriser Brett Watson) gave a talk to Jennifer Coriell’s class at Arcata High School. It wasn’t quite Bavaria, but Sunriser Lori Breyer and her husband Dave attended Hoptoberfest! (Who could have known that Dave likes beer??)
Your Editor couldn’t keep up with everything, but I did note that AJ named his Co-Rotarians of the Month – Romi Hitchcock Tinseth and Jessica McKnight!!
Final Friday Foundation Auction
Our Final Friday Auction for October was another success – as indicated by the amount raised for the Rotary Foundation! Below, you can see a list of prizes, donors, and purchasers. Thank you all for your generosity?!
- Who doesn’t love chocolate? Carol Vander Meer donated a “Chocolate Lover’s Treat Package”, and the buyer was Maggie Kraft!
- Brandi Easter’s contribution was a package (or two) containing jellies and brandied (really!) pears. There were two lucky winners – President AJ and Lori Breyer.
- Craig Newman donated his popular “Bounty of the Sea” package, which includes a bunch of delicious fish – frozen and home-canned. After a great many bids, a winner emerged – Jessica McKnight!
- Our newest Sunriser, Michael Pazeian, donated two signed copies of his book of interviews with veterans, “For Those Who Served: Veterans’ Voices”. Randy Mendosa and Julie Vaissade-Elcock won those gems.
- The next item on the block was the timely Power Outage Party Pack, provided by Lori Breyer. The top bidder was guest Jill Wilson, who purchased the basket in the nick of time!
- Finally, Vanessa Griffin offered a package that contained (among other things), Vermont Honey Gin. Past President Ray Noggle/Noogle snapped up that treasure from the Green Mountain State.
When the dust settled, our Club had made another $1,125 contribution to the Rotary Foundation! Thank you all!!
Don’t miss a minute!
(Click on the 2019-2020 Rotary Theme Logo to view the video of the full meeting.)