This Friday’s Program:
On Friday, October 7th, our Featured Speaker will be Humboldt County’s Deputy Director of Environmental Services, Hank Seemann, who will discuss the state of trails in Humboldt County!
RISE Calendar … “Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
October 8 – HSU Homecoming Tailgate Party from 3 to 6 pm, followed by the game – Central Washington vs HSU
October 9 – Past District Governor Erin Dunn stars in the “Rocky Horror Show” at the Ferndale Repertory Theatre!
October 18-26 – Opportunity to travel to Nigeria to help fight polio and attend the West Africa Project Fair! Check your email for details, or contact Howard Tours in Oakland (800-475-2260).
October 23 – Stetsons, Steaks, & Spurs – A Rotary Foundation Fandango! The annual Foundation Dinner at The Lodge – 445 Herrick Avenue, Eureka. No-host cocktails at 2 pm, then cook-your-own-steak at 3 pm. Check your email for your personal invitation!
November 17 – A Taste of the Holidays! Our Fall Favorite Fundraiser returns to help kick off another festive holiday season!
March 11, 2017 – The RCAS Spring Fundraiser! Put it on your calendar now (or as soon as you purchase a 2017 calendar)!!
May 12-14, 2017 – The District 5130 Conference at the Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort in Incline Village, Nevada
- President Susan told us about a new Rotary opportunity coming in 2017 – the Open World Program. We would be hosting six participants from another country for just over a week, and provide them with information about our communities, local organizations, and our local industries. If we choose to participate, our application will be due by October 13th. Susan plans to look into the details of the commitment and let us know more at our next meeting.
- Our Board Meetings will now take place on the third Monday of each month, 7 am at the Golden Harvest Cafe. The next meeting will be on October 17th.
- The Foundation Fandango (Dinner) will take place Sunday, October 23rd at the Eureka Elks Lodge. We hope you will attend, but whether you do or don’t, you are encouraged to purchase tickets for fantastic gift baskets to be raffled off at the event. Raffle tickets are $20 each, or 6 for $100! All the money goes to the Rotary Foundation and is credited to your Paul Harris Sustaining Fellowship account. There’s no downside!
- President Susan announced that Humboldt Creamery will supply eggnog for our Taste of the Holidays fundraiser! She noted that their generosity is appreciated, as are the efforts of other local food producers. Event Co-Chair reminded us that we are hoping to add five vendors to the event this year, so be on the lookout for likely suspects!
- Sunriser Steve McHaney is on the board of the Arcata Chamber of Commerce, and he announced that the October 6th mixer will be hosted by our own Tom Tellez, at the Wallace and Hinz facility in Blue Lake, across from Mad River Brewery. The event starts at 5:30 pm.
Welcome Susan Diehl-McCarthy!
The newest Sunriser is not a new Rotarian! Susan Diehl-McCarthy was a member of the Rotary Club of Arcata [Noon], and served as their President last year. Alyson Hunter sponsored Susan, although it probably didn’t involve much arm-twisting. Susan has “visited” with us many times over the years, so she knows what she’s getting into.
Susan was raised in Ferndale, and she studied Music at the College of the Redwoods, then Economics at Humboldt State. She volunteered for two years at an orphanage in Naples, Italy, then she served as a secretary and translator for the Chaplain’s office at the US Naval Support Activity. When she returned, she worked in commercial real estate lending. She is now working for the City of Arcata, in the Community Development Department.
Sadly, she recently lost her wonderful husband, Ralph McCarthy, who was well-loved by many of us in the community. Her stepson, Shane, is active with the local Special Olympics.
We are pleased and proud to welcome Susan as a Sunriser!
An Update from Judy
Judy, our Inbound Exchange Student, said that Typhoon Megi hit her home country of Taiwan earlier in the week, and it was devastating. Although two people were killed and many were injured, Judy’s mother reported that the worst of the storm had passed, and things were getting better. On a lighter note, Judy made a trip to the beach the previous weekend with Ian Schatz and his family, and she really enjoyed it. They went to Patrick’s Point, and she said, “It was sunny and so hot!” At school, Judy had been experiencing Arcata High School’s Homecoming Week, and she was sporting an Arcata Tigers T-Shirt to show her school spirit.
On Friday, Brenda Bishop, Lori Breyer, Romi Hitchcock-Tinseth, Ray Noggle, and Ian Schatz received pins for contributing $100 to the Rotary Foundation in honor of its 100th anniversary. They joined a group that previously earned their pins: President Susan, Steve McHaney, Janice Newman, and Terri Clark. Please make your contribution as well – not for the pin, but to support all the great Rotary Foundation programs. Remember, the Foundation consistently ranks as one of the most efficiently run charitable organizations in the world. Your donation helps a lot of people, and it isn’t diluted by high administrative costs.
Final Friday Foundation Auction
As always, the proceeds from our Final Friday Auction go directly to the Rotary Foundation, to help fund the amazing programs that Rotarians around the world support. Here’s a list of the goodies (“Goodies” includes the auction packages and those who donated and purchased them):
- A Pirate’s Booty Basket was contributed by AJ Gonzales. The winning “bid-arrrgh” was Bob Moore.
- Rina Brodhag brought in a Bailey’s Basket, which Janice Newman purchased.
- Karen Burgesser donated a Holiday Preparation Package, which President Susan will make good use of.
- Ian Schatz offered two photographs. One was purchased by Lori Breyer, and the other went home with Praj White.
- Finally, two Jitter Bean Gift Cards were donated by John Gullam. The jittery buyers were Romi Hitchcock-Tinseth and Jessica McKnight.
This month, we raised $630 for the Rotary Foundation!
As always, we thank the donors and the purchasers for their generosity!