Welcome to the Sunrise Spirit –
the Weekly Newsletter of The Rotary Club of Arcata Sunrise
We hope that you will attend one of our lively Friday meetings,
whether or not you are interested in joining Rotary.
We meet most Fridays at 7 am in the Plaza View Room at Arcata’s historic Jacoby Storehouse.
The Calendar …
RISE: “Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
Friday, October 4 – DG Kathy Flamson’s Official Visit and RCAS Picture Day! Don’t leave too soon after the meeting – we’ll be gathering on the Plaza for a photo op! (Sans Big Billy Mac.)
Saturday, October 5 – Wine by the Sea at the Humboldt Coastal Nature Center
Saturday, October 12 – Walk to End Alzheimers. Join the team to walk or make a pledge to support the cause.
Sunday, October 13 – Apple Pressing Event at Cam Appleton’s home in Fieldbrook
Monday, October 14 – World Polio Day – Celebrate our progress with local Rotary Clubs at Six Rivers Brewery!
Monday, October 21 – RCAS Make-up Monday at the Griffin! (The third Monday of each month) 4 to 6 pm.
Saturday, October 26 – Rotary Foundation Dinner North at the Sequoia Conference Center in Eureka 5 – 9 pm
Friday, December 13 – RCAS Caroling on the Plaza for Arts Arcata
January 17-18, 2020 – “Peace Starts With You” – the Rotary International Peace Conference in Ontario, California.
Additional Important Stuff
The Arcata High School Interact Club meets every Friday at 12:20 pm during the school year.
The North Bay Rotaract Club meets in the Plaza View Room at Jacoby’s Storehouse at 6 pm on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month.
What Has Thomas Been Up To?
Our Exchange Student from France – Thomas Spengler – tells us about his latest adventures!
Announcements and More!
Our Club has a lot going on, and we talked about most of it!
Shannon Maciel and Andreas Krause filled us in on their recent birthday celebrations, then Howard Stauffer talked about his hike with his wife Rebecca along the Rogue River. They encountered bears, eagles, and otters!
We also discussed Backpacks for Kids, which resumes with our next meeting, and A Taste of the Holidays, which is coming soon.
Dustin Littlefield and Remy Campbell talked about podcasts – Dustin said that we have a “pilot” for our Rotary podcast in the works, and Remy told us more about “Crippled By Questions” – the podcast he has developed with AJ Jager and Sebastian Taylor.
Scott Pesch of the Rotary Club of Southwest Eureka and Jeff Pauli of the Old Town Rotary Club teamed up to ask us to “Save The Date” – said date being Saturday, January 12, 2020. The two Clubs will jointly present a High Stakes Yahtzee Tournament fundraiser that day. Contact them if you would like to be an event sponsor.
Arcata City Manager Karen Diemer was on hand to talk about the recent rain. She noted that we can handle a couple of inches, but not within the space of an hour! Sandbags are ready and available for residents who need them.
Paul and Polio
Our Foundation Final Friday for September 27, 2019 included Foundation Chair Terri Clark presenting our latest Paul Harris Fellow – Andreas Krause!
Terri also provided an update on the polio eradication front (mostly good news).
Foundation Final Friday Auction!
We held another Final Friday Auction, and (as always) the proceeds go to the Rotary Foundation! Here are the winners and the winners … er … the donors and the successful bidders:
- Susan Jansson donated a HealthSport package, complete with a relaxing massage. Claire Ajina will be saying, “Aaahh!” very soon.
- An “Office Hero” basket was provided by Jennifer Coriell. (It included baked goods!) Lori Breyer was the winning bidder, and her co-workers were the lucky ones!
- President AJ donated a yoga package, including a yoga mat and a certificate for Om Shala Yoga. Crystal Perez hopes to get some good vibes from that package.
- Matt Babich’s contribution was a package of goods from Costa Rica – chocolate and coffee, along with several other items. Amanda Nelson was the top bidder.
- Bob Johnson offered a fireplace poker that was hand-forged by Sunriser Craig Newman. Visiting Rotarian (and Former Sunriser) Kevin Jenkins will be poking around with that for a long time to come.
- The last package on the auction block was a collection of items gathered by Steve McHaney when he was in India for a Rotary Friendship Exchange. The goods included an Indian handbag, two books of Gandhi quotes, a statue of Ganesh, and Bombay Sapphire gin. (I’m not sure that last came from India.) A guest named Eva won the bidding war.
Thanks to all who donated, purchased, and drove up the prices!
Don’t miss a minute!
(Click on the 2019-2020 Rotary Theme Logo to view the video of the full meeting.)