Welcome to the Sunrise Spirit –
the Weekly Newsletter of The Rotary Club of Arcata Sunrise
We hope that you will attend one of our lively Friday meetings,
whether or not you are interested in joining Rotary.
We meet most Fridays at 7 am in the Plaza View Room at Arcata’s historic Jacoby Storehouse.
The Calendar …
RISE: “Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
January 29, 30, & 31: We deliver Dictionaries to Third Graders – check your email for times & schools
Saturday, February 9: It’s our birthday! (Well, almost.) The RCAS Charter Celebration starts at 2 pm at the Griffin in Arcata!
Saturday, March 9: Judges needed for the annual Humboldt History Day competition at Humboldt State. See Jeff Stebbins to volunteer.
Saturday, March 16: Join the Rotary Club of Arcata (Noon) and the North Bay Rotaract Club as they present the 11th Annual Humboldt Wine Festival. Starts at 5:30 pm in HSU’s Kate Buchanan Room.
Additional Important Stuff
The Arcata High School Interact Club meets every Friday at 12:20 pm.
The North Bay Rotaract Club meets in the Plaza View Room at Jacoby’s Storehouse at 6 pm on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month.
Rotarian of the Week!
Sarah James is a member of the Sergeant-at -Arms Committee, and she generally takes care of our weekly ping-pong ball raffle. To show his (and our) appreciation, President Ray named her the Rotarian of the Week!
What’s In Store for the AHS Interact Club?
Foundation Chair Terri Clark loves to recognize the generosity of our many Paul Harris Fellows (each of whom has donated at least $1,000 to the Rotary Foundation). At Friday’s meeting, we celebrated two Sunrisers who have gone above and beyond: Maggie Kraft, who is a three-time Paul Harris Fellow, and Craig Newman, who has completed his sixth “lap”. Thank you both for your continued support of the Rotary Foundation!
The Fabulous Foundation Final Friday Auction!!
Last week we celebrated our first Final Friday of 2019, which meant – you guessed it – a Fabulous Final Friday Auction. You probably know how it works. One Sunriser donates a prize, the mob bids the cost up until everyone poops out. The amount of the winning bid is donated to the Rotary Foundation, and the Paul Harris Fellow credit is split between the donor and the buyer. Really, everyone wins! Here is a list of our most recent winners and the prizes:
- Maggie Kraft donated a tea set with cheese and small firemen figurines. Sarah James won the package.
- A special Valentine’s Day basket was provided by Dan Johnson, and the high bid came from Brett Watson.
- Jessica McKnight offered a five-day supply of home-cooked meals for two. Terri Clark took that one home.
- Maggie Kraft’s second donation was a very large bottle of Bombay Gin. Winning bidder Dick Johnson will be calling Dr. Bombay very soon.
- A special “I Forgot Final Friday and It’s the Super Bowl This Weekend” package came from Tomas Chavez, and it was purchased by Bryan Plumley.
- A set of Penzey’s “Heal the World” Spices came to us courtesy of Terri Clark. (Where have I heard that name before?) ‘Tis the seasoning for winning bidder John Gullam.
- Steve McHaney and his wife Patty were on a Rotary Friendship Exchange to India a couple of years ago (I think), and he offered a basket filled with items they purchased on the trip. In addition to a satchel, books, garments, and a keyholder, Steve threw in a bottle of Fireball Whisky and some chocolate. Rachel Damme was the winner, and she’s looking forward to seeing what all she bought!
- John Gullam donated a gift certificate to Arcata Scoop Ice Cream Shop, which was lapped up by Brandon Kakitsuka.
- The final item on the auction block was a big, big bottle of Grey Goose Vodka with two sturdy martini glasses. That package, donated by Ashliegh Diehl, was won by Jeff Stebbins.
Many thanks to the donors and purchasers, who (with a little help from an additional donation or two) brought our contribution to the Rotary Foundation up to $1,000 on the day. That amount will be earmarked for the Foundation’s efforts to eradicate polio.
Thanks also to Terri Clark for organizing the Auction, and also to our roving band of auctioneers – Maggie Kraft and Bob Johnson (with some “assistance” from President Ray).
“Watch this episode of The Adventures of President Ray!“(Click on President Ray’s photo to view the video of the full meeting.)