Welcome to the Sunrise Spirit –
the Weekly Newsletter of The Rotary Club of Arcata Sunrise
We hope that you will attend one of our lively Friday meetings,
whether or not you are interested in joining Rotary.
We meet most Fridays at 7 am in the Plaza View Room at Arcata’s historic Jacoby Storehouse.
The Calendar …
RISE: “Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
Saturday, April 6: Arts Alive! Reception for Crystal Perez (aka Charli Murphy) at the Eagle House, 6 to 8 pm
Friday-Sunday, April 26 – 28: Eureka Salt & Fog Fish Fest. Includes a Pub Crawl, the Fish Fest itself, and a Fun Run!
Friday, May 3: RCAS Presents A Taste of Spring! – our Spring Fundraiser! The event will have a Triple Crown theme (as in horse racing). You could win a cash prize of $1,000!!
Friday-Sunday, May 17 – 19: The Four-Way Fest – four Rotary Districts will hold their District Conferences together, at the Peppermill Resort in Reno, Nevada.
Additional Important Stuff
The Arcata High School Interact Club meets every Friday at 12:20 pm.
The North Bay Rotaract Club meets in the Plaza View Room at Jacoby’s Storehouse at 6 pm on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month.
Does the Four-Way Test Apply?
President Ray implied that Your Editor (Dick Johnson) had somehow violated the Four-Way Test, as you can see in this video:
Let Terri Be Your Tour Guide
Our Club’s Foundation Doyenne – Terri Clark – had just returned from visiting Japan when she attended the March 29, 2019 RCAS Meeting. She said that it is a wonderful country with lots of amazing attractions, including an amazing fabric store. She was (of course) accompanied by The Most Tolerant Man on Earth – her husband, Marty Lay.
Final Friday Auction Results
Our Final Friday Foundation Auction raised $1,030 for the Rotary Foundation – and we had a great time, as always! Here are the details:
- Susan Jansson donated a “Get Ready for Summer” package, which featured a three-month membership to HealthSport and a massage. Jeff Stebbins will feel better – from the massage and the membership, but also for his donation to the Rotary Foundation!
- A comprehensive barbecue kit (that included a handcrafted fork and spatula) was provided by Claire Ajina; winner Cam Appleton will be grilling in style from here on out!
- There were a lotta Bs in Dick Johnson’s B-B-B-Basket – it contained bourbon, Bordeaux wine, bacon chocolate, and just plain bacon. P-P-P-Praj White was the high bidder.
- Ed Christians offered a purse pack for travelers, which included a phone case, an external battery, and other accessories. Matt Babich will put those items to good use.
- Ian Schatz donated limited editions bottles of wine and blackberry liqueur, which were purchased by Terri Clark.
- Brandi Easter recently returned from a diving competition in New Zealand, and she brought back goodies for the auction. These included Blissfall wine (I think), a diver warning flag, and much more. The Justice Of Your Club (JOYC) offered the winning bid.
- Next fall’s Outbound Exchange Student – Julia MacLeod – welcomed the opportunity to raise funds for her Rotary Exchange Year, so she offered “comfort food” (homemade granola), which Scott Heller snapped up with a very generous bid.
- Finally, the Club offered several shirts bearing the RCAS logo. These were purchased by AJ Gonzales, Carol Vander Meer, Nick Torres, and Patti Britt Campbell.
Thanks again to all those who donated and purchased the auction items. (Thanks also to the non-winning participants who drove up the winning bids!)
“Watch this episode of The Adventures of President Ray!“(Click on President Ray’s photo to view the video of the full meeting.)