We hope that you will attend one of our lively Friday meetings, whether or not you are interested in joining Rotary. We meet most Fridays at 7 am in the Plaza View Room at the historic Jacoby Storehouse in Arcata.
RISE Calendar …
“Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
Thursday, April 5 – RCAS and Humboldt State host a dinner/discussion with HSU students.
Saturday, April 21 – District 5130 Training Assembly – North at the River Lodge in Fortuna
Sunday, April 22 – Adopt-A-Highway & Earth Day Social
May 18-20 – District 5130 Conference in North Highlands!
Friday, June 1 – The Rotary Club of Southwest Eureka hosts the Stephen Brodhag Memorial Golf Tournament at Baywood!
Soujourning, Being Eclectic, & Special Daze!
Jennifer Coriell led off our Sojourning Sunrisers segment, followed closely by Brandi Easter, Jeff Stebbins, and Terri Clark. President Dustin told us about our Club making the front page of the Mad River Union (its April Fools Day edition) as part of “an eclectic coalition”, and we celebrated some Special Daze – although we nearly missed one.
Exchange Student Izzy Orsach, had a busy week. She traveled to Horse Mountain for a taste of California snow. Literally – Izzy told us that whipped cream with snow is delicious! She also reported on her first Arcata High School track meet!
The Final Friday Auction!!
Now that the big fundraisers are over, we’re back to raising money for the great work done by the Rotary Foundation. And one of our favorite ways to make that happen is our Fabulous Foundation Final Friday Auction! On the last Friday of most months, Sunrisers bring in prizes to be sold to the highest bidder. All the money goes to the Foundation, and the donor and the purchaser split the Paul Harris Sustaining Fellowship credit! Here is a summary of the auction results:
- Lynda Moore donated a bottle of Merlot, and a set of wine glasses. The winning bid came from Julie Vaissade-Elcock.
- Not one, but two pies from Humboldt Pie were provided by Randy Mendosa. Crystal Perez won that delectable delight.
- Dick Johnson offered a set of glasses with a caddy along with a bottle of Humboldt Honey wine. That package went home with Joyce Hinrichs.
- Steve McHaney brought in some amazing items that he acquired while he and his wife Patty were in India on a Rotary Friendship Exchange. The “Passage to India” package went to high bidder Brandi Easter.
- A rare Hawaiian Rotary shirt was on the block, along with two bottles of Moonstone Crossing wine, courtesy of Howard Stauffer. Lisa Hemphill was the buyer.
- Rotary Kid Mary Crow saved out 5 boxes of Girl Scout cookies, and these went to four bidders who paid $10 per box. The black market purchasers included President Dustin, Jessica McKnight, and Dick Johnson.
- The aforementioned Joyce Hinrichs was a purchaser, but she also donated some lovely orchids! Top bidder Nick Torres will be enjoying those for a long time!
- President Dustin donated an Easter Basket, filled with chocolate goodies and wine to wash them down. The bidder who will do the washing is Dick Johnson.
- The last item on the auction block was a used table. It was originally owned by Matt Babich, but it had been pretty well beat up. Broken legs, scratches, et cetera … Matt took it to Tom Tellez, asking if anything could be done. Tom fixed it up beautifully, but since he manufactures custom bars, he didn’t know how to price the job. They decided to leave it up to our Club, but Matt didn’t want to let the table slip away, so he bid a peremptory $500, which was accepted by Auctioneer Ray Noggle.
Thanks to the donors and the bidders, we raised another $1,230 for the Rotary Foundation! You don’t have to wait for a Final Friday to support the Foundation – just click on the logo below to make a contribution today!
(Click on President Dustin’s photo to view the video of the full meeting.)