Welcome to the Sunrise Spirit –
the Weekly Newsletter of The Rotary Club of Arcata Sunrise
We hope that you will attend one of our lively Friday meetings,
whether or not you are interested in joining Rotary.
We meet (almost) every Friday at 7 am in the Plaza View Room
of Arcata’s historic Jacoby Storehouse,
We have returned to hybrid meetings.
Please join us, either on-site or online!
For more information and for the meeting links, please visit the RCAS Website.
Together, we see a world where people unite and take action to create
lasting change – across the globe, in our communities, and in ourselves.
The RCAS Calendar
RISE: “Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
- June 3 – We celebrate Arcata High School’s Academic Top 10 Percent of Graduating Seniors at our Morning Meeting
- June 4-8 – The 2022 Rotary International Convention in Houston, Texas.
- June 25 – RCAS at the Humboldt Bay Oyster Festival
- July 10 – President Vanessa Picks Up the Gavel!
For Openers …
We were winding down the Rotary Year with photos from our recent Sunrise Scramble Golf Tournament, and from the District Conference, which featured our home-grown District Governor – Dustin Littlefield!
We then welcomed the two newest Rotarians in the world (as of last Friday, anyway) – Hannah Golden, who is the Lead Accountant for HealthSPORT; and Dallas Fuentes, who is a Loan Officer for Alameda Mortgages. Dallas was sponsored for membership by President Ian, and Hannah’s sponsor was District Governor Dustin. The induction ceremony was handled by Former President AJ Gonzales.
We’re pleased to welcome both of you!! We had a return visit from Sandy Shultz, also known as “Sandy in Honduras”. She was on hand to introduce us to several of the children that her nonprofit has helped to cope with debilitating medical conditions. One was a teenage boy who needed (and received) a corneal transplant, and there were two girls who received prosthetic legs. Our Club supports Sandy’s project, and you are encouraged to make a donation as well by sending a check to “Sandy in Honduras”, c/o Sandy Shultz, PO Box 886, Wolfeboro Falls, NH 03896. The group’s tax ID is 82-3995165.
The Final Final Friday Auction of President Ian’s Year
This was our last Final Friday meeting for the current Rotary Year, so it had to be good … and it was! Here is the list of the items, donors, and purchasers:
- Bryan Reeser offered a Hiker’s Helper package that included socks for men and women, a Patagonia Trucker’s Hat, a Hydro Flask water bottle, and a Sierra Club bag/cooler. Our guest Walt Geist offered up the winning bid for that item.
- Jeff Stebbins and Angela Robershotte teamed up to provide three “Taste of Italy” packages, each of which included a bottle of Chianti. The winners were Terri Clark, Lori Breyer, and Gregg Foster.
- Then it got real – on the auction block were 12 bottles of premium wine, donated by Former RCAS President (and all-around Magnificent Guy) Scott Heller. These fine bottles were purchased by AJ Gonzales, Brandi Easter, Bryan Reeser, Jamie Anderson (who bought two), Gregg Foster, Lori Breyer, Angela Robershotte, Ashliegh Diehl (who also purchased two), Jeff Stebbins, and Tom Tellez. Wow!!
- President Ian offered an evening of rolling (and presumably eating) sushi for two at Ian’s home. The package included an “assorted sushi essentials bag”. The top bid was offered by Jeff Stebbins, who will be reveling in the “deliciously messy fun”!
- Dick Johnson donated a jacket featuring the Rotary logo, which was purchased by Brandon Kakitsuka.
- Several Sunrisers (Ashliegh Diehl, Joyce Hinrichs, President Ian, and Jessica McKnight) donated a large number of gift cards. These were purchased by Terri Clark (who snagged three), Amanda Nelson, Dick Johnson (two), Julie Vaissade-Elcock, Chris Hemphill, Brandi Easter (two), Maggie Kraft, Susan Diehl-McCarthy, Lori Breyer, and Hannah Golden.
It was a great Final Friday, with our Club raising $1,890 that will go to the great work that the Rotary Foundation does! Thank you to our donors and bidders. But remember – you can help the Rotary Foundation any time. Just click on the link below to donate:
President Ian’s Closing Haiku
Why join Rotary?
I did because it gives me