Our Next Meeting
Please feel free to join us at next Friday’s meeting. We meet at 7 am at the Plaza View Room in the Jacoby Storehouse, on the Arcata Plaza.
RISE Calendar …
“Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
November 16 – Taste of the Holidays – 5 to 8 pm at the Arcata Community Center.
November 19 – District 5130 Foundation Dinner North – 2 pm at the Eureka Elks Lodge
December 2 – Christmas Caroling at Eureka’s Arts Alive. Meet outside Los Bagels (2nd & E Streets) at 6 pm.
- Sunrisers love to travel, and we heard about travels from Africa to Hawaii, courtesy of Maggie Kraft, Tomas Chavez, Terri Clark, Lori Breyer, and Dick Johnson.
- We’ll hear more from Malinda Damme below, but President Dustin pointed out that she has started her own business – North Coast Rentals! Congratulations and best wishes!
- Although there were no anniversaries to celebrate on Friday, we did commemorate the birthdays of Rebecca Crow, Claire Ajina, and Karen Burgesser:
- Dustin reminded us that over 50 Rotarians lost their homes in the recent fires, and District Governor Bob Rogers has encouraged us to help sponsor attendance at the upcoming Foundation Dinners. To do so, please send a check to Valerie Hulsey, 412 Oak Point Court, Santa Rosa, CA 95409. Your check for $70 per each person sponsored should be payable to District 5130, and please mark “Dinner Sponsor” on the memo line.
Craft Talk: Malinda Damme
We hear about the life and times of Malinda Damme from her days at Pacific Union School to her new life as an Arcata business owner!
Welcome New Sunriser Crystal Perez!
Crystal Perez is the Juvenile Diversion Counselor for the Arcata Police Department, and she is our newest Sunriser! Crystal was raised in Eureka, and she attended Eureka High School and Chico State, where she earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, then her Master’s in Developmental Pathopsychology. She likes traveling, art, and reading, and she enjoys the beach – whether she’s surfing or walking her dog “Cheese”. We’re happy to have Crystal in the Club!
Foundation Final Friday Auction
Since we don’t celebrate Final Fridays in November or December, the October Final Friday was our last of 2017. And we had a great auction, with the proceeds benefiting the Rotary Foundation. Here are the details:
- Mary and Rebecca Crow offered cookies that will be baked to order during the holidays. Laura Montagna was the winning bidder.
- Lori Breyer won the “Pasta Spectacular” that AJ Gonzales put together.
- Craig Newman donated his “Bounty of the Sea” package, and offered to store the fish in his freezer until needed. The winner was Scott Heller.
- A Deluxe Mai Tai Package was provided by Lisa Hemphill, and Maggie Kraft walked off with it (after paying, of course).
- Ashliegh Diehl donated a Drinking Game, complete with Dunce Cap. Bryan Reeser was no dunce, however – his was the winning bid!
- A Car Care Kit just isn’t complete if alcohol is not included (but consumed long before or after any driving takes place). A Complete Car Care Kit was available, courtesy of Chris Hemphill – and it left courtesy of Craig Newman!
- John Gullam offered four photos to be printed and mounted on black foam core. Sarah Wilkinson was the high bidder.
- A Fall Package featuring Plants and Chocolates was on the block, and Jeff Stebbins took it home!
- A bottle of Jewell Gin along with other local liquors was donated by Jessica McKnight. The high bid came from Nick Torres.
- Scott Heller provided six bottles of imported wine, which made six high bidders happy – Julie Vaissade-Elcock, AJ Gonzales, Crystal Perez, Dick Johnson, Tom Tellez, and Nick Torres.
As always, thanks to the donors and the bidders. And many thanks to Auctioneer Ray Noggle, and to Foundation Chair Terri Clark.
I’ve got the whole meeting in my head!