Our Next Meeting
Please feel free to join us at next Friday’s meeting! It’s a Foundation Final Friday, which means that we will celebrate the Rotary Foundation – one of the most efficient and effective charitable foundations in the US!
We meet at 7 am at the Plaza View Room in the Jacoby Storehouse, on the Arcata Plaza.
RISE Calendar …
“Rotary Involvement Strengthens Everyone“
October 3 – Cider for Nonprofits (to benefit the Walk to End Alzheimer’s) at the Humboldt Cider Company Tap Room (517 F Street, Eureka). The business will be donating a portion of its profits all day long, but there will be a raffle or raffles between 5 and 8 pm.
October 7 – CASA Kids Walk – Starts at 6 pm at the Madaket Plaza in Eureka
October 14 – Walk to End Alzheimer’s – Meet at 10 am at Halvorsen Park in Eureka
October 14 – HSU Homecoming Tailgate Party – Meet at 2 pm in the HSU Parking Area
From the Top!
Here’s a special photo of Bob & Peggy Rogers that didn’t make the press deadline for the last issue. It was taken by Bob Doran on September 15th.
- There was only one Sojourning Sunriser – and she was a SS-to-be! Maggie Kraft told us about her upcoming trip across the Atlantic:
- President Dustin announced that Barbara Browning has resigned from the Board of Directors (but not from the Club). Her position frequently takes her to Del Norte County, so stepping away from that extra commitment seems like a good move. She will be replaced by AJ Gonzales.
- Dustin also took a moment for a Special Recognition of a Very Special Sunriser – Janice Newman. Just listen to all the great things she has done for the Club – starting before she became a member!
- On the previous weekend, several Sunrisers headed for the Manila Community Center to prep and paint Little House A.
- We celebrated several anniversaries at our meeting: Jeff Stebbins & Rachel Chandler, Steve & Patty McHaney, Karen & Steve Burgesser, Mark & Cammy Burtchett, and Bob & Susan Johnson. Only one birthday to sing for, though – Ian Schatz (who turned 49 … but who’s counting?).
- Exchange Student Izzy’s week included the North Country Fair and helping to paint the little house in Manila!
- We also heard from our other Isabella – Outbound Exchange Student Bella White, who is in Denmark. Dustin asked Rachel Damme to be the Guest Narrator:
The State of the City: Karen Diemer
Karen Diemer has been the Arcata City Manager since late 2014, succeeding Sunriser Randy Mendosa. Karen earned her degree in Wildlife Management at HSU, and she has worked for the City of Arcata for over 20 years. Last week, she spoke to us about the State of the City:
Want to check out the entire meeting?
Click on President Dustin!